|
Do any of you guys run your sites on a dedicated server. PAW has been starting to run a little slow lately and I am wondering with the amount of traffic we are getting along with the amount of search bots if it's time to make like Nike and just do it.
I can't stand the lag. It looks like on my end though that there is enough memory and bandwidth but I am not a techie and I imagine at some point a dedicated server is going to be a nessecity for this site anyways. In other words I can't figure out the slowdown. So why not just go for the gold and get on a new server. :P Any thoughts on this from you pro's......... |
A dedicated server is a no brainer. You can get a managed server for just over $100 a month. ( 1and1.com has them for $109 ) For one price you can add all of your domains. I run over 30 domains from my server and had 0 downtime for over 3 years.
I run a linux server with a plex interface. use a service like godaddy or webdomains4u and you can add domains for about $9 a year total cost and it takes about 2 minutes to set it up and have your new domain running. |
just put me in a mouse wheel and I will keep running to keep this site powered up
Sounds like a great deal though |
I went to one last month. Much quicker.
Later |
Hi,
I am not a techie but run tens of sites across 5 servers (multiple servers for seo) I tried doing the dedicated thing myself but didnt want to spend the time to understand trouble tickets, managing patches, control panels etc etc. I scraped my way through and managed to run ENSIM myself but then in 2004 some cheerful Brazilian hackers defaced all my sites and I had to start from scratch. I found an ace team in India who will quote for business. They, in turn, manage server relationships with the data centres in the US. Depending on bandwith and performance I pay $300-$600 per server per month with the upper range including SQL and unlimited bandwith for photo hosting sites. What you get is 100% uptime, URCHIN, backups, 100% hassle free, 24x7, 365 day support. e.g. I can message them and say hey please investigate why the site is slow and they do the analysis and report back in the hour etc etc. PM me if you want their deets. Cheers Devendra |
I have been running on a dedicated server for over 5 years and can not imagine running my sites any other way. Too may variables with shared hosting! ;-)
A good, fully managed Dedicated with more BW than you can burn, and lots of IP's (64) is running $200... with all the standard goodies.... PM me if interested, so I dont spam the thread! ;-) |
I can get really good semi-managed starting at $119 (what I use)
fully managed, best in the biz starting around $300 per |
Don't go cheap when it comes to hosting...I ran a full time hosting business from 2002 to 2005 (Sold it off) and sold dedicated servers, managed and unmanaged.
If you don't know what your doing for the backend of thigns there's two options, a managed server or a VPS. I don't think PAW needs a dedicated yet to be honest. How many uniques do you get a day? How much bandwidth does it use? From the looks of it a managed VPS would be a better option, the server is fully managed so you don't have to worry about the backend things and you will get full support like you would on a shared host, you wouldn't get that with a managed dedicated. Try out www.WebHostingTalk.com - Been a member there since 2002 and there’s a lot of people that can really help when it comes to hosting :) |
look no further...
Rackspace - best in the biz...period - managed only or Serverbeach - rackspace offshoot - semi-managed, pay $15 per support ticket only when you need support. $100 kickback @ SB too ;) cheers |
This is high on priority list as this place is running like a 105 year old woman on life support.
Thanks for the feedback. |
| All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:52 AM. |
Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2007, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0