Poker Affiliate World
News Forums affiliate network Affiliate Tools Reviews

Go Back   Poker Affiliate World - Poker Affiliate Programs Discussion and Forums > Poker Affiliate Programs - Discussions for Poker Affiliates > Search Engine Optimization

Search Engine Optimization Better rankings in the search engines mean more money in our bank accounts. Share tips and strategies for SEO here.

Social Bookmarking Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2007, 07:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to kaus Send a message via MSN to kaus Send a message via Yahoo to kaus Send a message via Skype™ to kaus
Default Keywords and links strength

I know that link strength is vital and the better the quality the link the more presence it will have on your site.

Does the link have to reflect that certain keyword in order to bring you traffic or does the extra traffic hitting other keywords just come because of the increase in link strength?

Old 08-01-2007, 10:58 AM

i read this twice and didn't quite follow your question - maybe it's too early and i need some coffee, but could you rephrase the question?

Old 08-01-2007, 11:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to kaus Send a message via MSN to kaus Send a message via Yahoo to kaus Send a message via Skype™ to kaus

Sorry!

Alright I am noticing an increase in traffic for other keywords. Would this have to do with the advertisig packages I have bought from others?

Even though those had nothing to do with the hits I am getting?

Old 08-01-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaus View Post
Sorry! Alright I am noticing an increase in traffic for other keywords. Would this have to do with the advertisig packages I have bought from others?
since i don't know much about your website(s) i would have to assume so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaus View Post
Even though those had nothing to do with the hits I am getting?
perhaps other people have seen your ads and blogged or emailed about it, discussed it in other forums or through chat (IM) so you're getting some direct traffic.

if i purchased some advertising and my traffic increased yet analytics showed nothing with respect to the sites i bought traffic from i'd raise an eyebrow and go over my analytics again to discover where the traffic is coming from; maybe some explicit searches/news searches/blog searches using quotes to find some recent info on my site or its topic to try and discover the root. but, i'd only go to that extent if i had spent a great deal of money on my advertising and wanted to put 2 and 2 together.

other than that, if my response isn't helpful then i apologize; i just don't understand much about what you're doing so, i can only guess and give loose comments.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:10 PM

lol Understand and thanks. No these are all organic hits from google. The traffic is increasing and so are the organics. Although this specfic increase is not related to the advertsing I purchased.

My advertising is more so for SEO purpose than obtaining traffic from teh other sites.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:13 PM

ah, well yes, a site can increase overall general ranks site-wide from having page specific links even if the links are general; at least i've noticed over the years that that can be the case

Old 08-01-2007, 05:38 PM
Members

Default links boosting SERPS specific or general

hi Kaus

Hopefully one of the gurus ;-) will come in for you - Nick ?

But IMVHO you should get both - a general boost and a specific boost

but dont go crazy for links with just one specific keyword or string for a page / homepage otherwise you might over cook it

SEO is a pain to know anything for sure - what affects what negatively or positively - but monitor your keywords closely is worth the time and get a mix of several keywords / variations for pages not just 100's the same.

For example I've been sat nicely at no8 or thereabouts in google for "Poker Forum" which has been constant for a good few months -

In the last week / 10 days I've dropped badly to around 50th

I'm fairly sure what may have caused this (love to get some thoughts too) but if your site has performed well for a certain term with minimal links but aged and quality ones - getting a load come out of thin air - may (only a may) upset google

It's no biggy I'll just have to wait and hope to get back up there

When I first droppped my intial reaction was I'd lost a couple of key links (may still be the case) and thought - I've got to refocus on "Poker Forum" as a link term ...

At the moment if google has reacted the way I think it may - going out looking for more links for this term would be - Very counterproductive.

As someone has commented in the part the more established your site gets the more you can do things - but early on build slowly and mix it up alot.

Also I'm sure alot would say 4kingpoker didnt deserve the 8th spot and the competition for that term is getting tougher and tougher.

Long and short - I would say do lots of mixing and think / plan very naturally

AFAIKS if your getting links for say "xyz poker bonus" that seems to help specifically for "xyz poker bonus" but also a bit for "xyz poker bonus codes" & a tiny bit for "poker bonus" and for "xyz poker"

cheers scrawnybob

BadBeatorNot.com ... Poker Odds Calculator

MillionDollarPokerGuide.com ... Poker Guide & Directory

Scrawnybob's 4kingPoker Rants & Rambles ... Poker Blog
Old 08-01-2007, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrawnybob View Post

but dont go crazy for links with just one specific keyword or string for a page / homepage otherwise you might over cook it
2-3 keywords max. for one page I'd say.

Quote:
At the moment if google has reacted the way I think it may - going out looking for more links for this term would be - Very counterproductive.

As someone has commented in the part the more established your site gets the more you can do things - but early on build slowly and mix it up alot.
So more odd things happening on your site in Google's eyes? You're getting links steadily for "Poker Forum" and suddenly there's none of them. I wouldn't recommend.

You should target 2-3 keywords on your site in the beginning and go with them. Surely you want to rank for other words too, but do that with sub folders and other pages, not with the main page.

Quote:

AFAIKS if your getting links for say "xyz poker bonus" that seems to help specifically for "xyz poker bonus" but also a bit for "xyz poker bonus codes" & a tiny bit for "poker bonus" and for "xyz poker"
Well this makes more sense, you're targeting 3-4 keywords now. Mixing like this is good stuff, but you don't want to start getting links by keywords that are barely mentioned on your site.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:39 AM
Members

Default miss-quotes / missunderstanding

hi

not sure you quoted me or understood me right SEO

"So more odd things happening on your site in Google's eyes? You're getting links steadily for "Poker Forum" and suddenly there's none of them. I wouldn't recommend"

this isn't a case of "more odd things" happening - it's a single keyword ive ranked well for - and in the general scheme of things poker forum hasnt been for me that great a term to rank well for.

I rank on the 1st page for just about all the terms I've really targeted and now I'm ranking and targeting around 250 keywords total to one degree or another

the links I have for "poker forum" havent dissapeared - they're all quality links, a couple may have dropped off - but I was saying added to those I've gained a lot of links newer less established links for that term in a short space of time - long term I think that will help me, short term I think it shocked Google as it would seem a bit unatural for the history of my site - if that makes sense.

bear in mind I'm not clever enough to try black hat - so I dont even try it
but I think it is possible to get too keen building links or over optomise pages (but on page is a separate issue to what Kaus is asking about)

The point I was making is unless your pokerlistings or a big site - getting alot of links in a short space of time for one specific link term can unsettle google - none of my links have gone disapeared or the general rankings for other terms

The point I'm making is naturual totally organic links wouldnt be very consistent so suggesting targeting 2 keywords in any large amounts - wouldnt be good plan for a newer site if you did it in big amounts

all anchor text should be a varied as possible IMHO - even if that means waiting a bit longer to do well for a specific term.

cheers scrawnybob

BadBeatorNot.com ... Poker Odds Calculator

MillionDollarPokerGuide.com ... Poker Guide & Directory

Scrawnybob's 4kingPoker Rants & Rambles ... Poker Blog